Tuesday 18 March 2014

Assignment 1 Submission

The first assignment in the BENV 2426 course was an informative project because it introduced me to new programs like Rhino and GrassHopper and it also introduced me to the latest industrial technology such as the 3D printers and laser cutters. I have successfully developed a brief understanding to preform well in this course by being able to understand the concept of Rhino and GrassHopper and most importantly the process involved in taking my developed model, preparing it for cutting and then actually using the machines to cut my model and put it all together. 

I believe that the skill sets that I have developed in this first assignment will help me with my future projects. Below is my submission for assignment 1.

Above is my final script for my letter "A" which uses a series of boolean difference commands to shape the letter "A" from rough forms. I began with a box that had the dimensions of 204mm x 226mm x 200mm and then began by extruding a few surfaces to shape the letter "A" as shown above.
Above is my final result for the letter "A" which I have further decorated by creating a series of circles and extruding them against my main form to create a more interesting effect.
I then baked my letter "A" to turn it into a Rhino model and added a "bend" command to bend my letter to add some depth to it. 
I then used a plugin for Rhino called RhinoNest to section my model into various layers which I could then laser cut and glue together to create a 3D physical model of my letter "A". I also used another feature in RhinoNest to optimize all of my 48 layers that were created onto a 204mm x 226mm board.
The final step was to then import the .ilu file into Illustrator and ensure that the line thicknesses and color mode was set to red RGB for cutting. The image above is of my Sheet 1. I then printed each of my 3 sheets to a pdf format to be imported for laser cutting.
Update: After some trial and error I found that my previous model of my letter used the sectioning method which would result in having a large number of layers which was not the conventional method of laser cutting.

I decided to create a more simpler geometry free of curves and bends and laser cut each of its surface which will result in a hollow 3D letter "A". Below is my final geometry for assignment 1.
The above screenshot is of the final GrassHopper script for my letter.
The above screenshot conveys my final revised model

Link to my GrassHopper File : https://www.dropbox.com/s/jo01khcrifmtr58/Assignment%201-%20Aram%20Odesh%20-%20z3464739.gh
Link to my Rhino File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9fav8e06lszcndq/Assignment%201%20-%20Aram%20Odesh%20-%20z3464739.3dm


No comments:

Post a Comment